Sunday 7 July 2013

Se7en (Vaper's Deadly Sin) by Innevape

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product.

Se7en http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/ by David Fincher is one of my all time favourite films. I love everything about it; the writing, direction, acting, the art direction and the cinematography. More than anything else though, I love the finely realised and perfectly executed representation of the deranged and sickening elevation of murder to a form of Art. Obviously murder is a hideous act and not something that I condone. At all. However, as an adult I appreciate the difference between real life and the world of the imagination, whether this is realised in the form of a novel, a painting or a film. Or sculpture. Or music. Etc. I enjoyed David Fincher's violent aesthetic but I completely understood it as a work of art and a complete fiction at that.

Though there's nothing of the violence of Fincher's film in Innevape's E-liquid, Se7en (is there?), it is in fact, here and now in the real world. Nothing at all fictive about it.

Innevape http://www.innevape.com/ are based in Central Florida. From their website: "We started this company to provide the absolute highest quality American made, custom blended e-liquids on the market. All of our blends are made with only the purest ingrediants, including Kosher VG, and PG. Our e-liquids are all a 70% VG / 30% PG mixture to achieve the perfect balance of flavor, vapor production, and throat hit. We are a company owned by vapers, and run by vapers. Our commitment to you is that we will always maintain the utmost highest standards in quality, and customer service and treat you the way we would want to be treated ourselves. Live long and vapor." http://www.innevape.com/aboutus.asp

Innevape offer a range of sixteen e-liquids. These are Caramel Vapeuccino, Chill Out, Watermelonthol, Cherry Bomb, Fusion, Beehave, Grapevape, Mocha Javape, Heisenberg (The Blue), TNT - The Next Tobacco, Vapeception, VMD - Vape My Day, Watermelony, TNT Menthol, Se7en (Vaper's Deadly Sin) and TNT Black Label Peach.

The bottle is an easily squeezed, clouded, plastic bottle with an attached dropper. The screw-top cap is white plastic and arrived with a tamper evident seal attached to the cap around the neck of the bottle. It's not childproof, so those of you with small children about should take special care in the storage and use of this liquid. The label includes the following information: the company name, the company's website address, the name of the liquid, the phrase "Live long and vapor", nicotine strength in mg and a warning that this product contains nicotine and should be kept out of the reach of children.

The colour of the liquid is a clear Byzantium Aubergine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium_(color) and has the consistency and lubricity of a very light syrup or oil. Like a syrup it's slightly sticky when rubbed between the thumb and forefinger. The aroma of the liquid is initially reminiscent of a medley of berries, but as I investigate the fragrance further, I detect hints of banana and perhaps, pear.

Innevape describe Se7en as "...a decadent blend of exotic fruits that is sure to please even the most scrutinizing taste buds. It's like a Hawaiian vacation in your mouth." http://www.innevape.com/Se7en_E_Cigarette_liquid_p/el-seven.htm

I'm vaping Se7en in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod running on an 18650 battery approximately half an hour shy of the charger. I don't have the mod or equipment necessary to measure the ohms of the coil on the Igo-L, but I can tell you that it has four wraps of 0.2 Kanthal wire around three strands of 2mm Silica wick. 

As I fire the device and first inhale the vapour I find that the flavour is quite subtle. In order to intensify and coax the flavour out of this liquid I'm finding that I have to take a number of primer puffs to progressively heat the coil. Users of variable voltage devices would be advised to dial up the voltage. Once the coil is sufficiently hot, the flavour stands to attention and I'm able then to discern what we have here. As the vapour courses along the length of my tongue and swirls throughout my mouth, I'm experiencing a mild sourness and a milder still sweetness. There's a certain darkness about the flavour; I can't quite put my finger on the source of this. As the breath turns and I begin to exhale, the flavour of berries and whispers of coconut and banana are experienced retronasally. Don't mistake what I'm about to suggest for the actual presence of this flavour in the mix (although it may very well be there), but there's a certain richness in the overall taste sensation which is mildly suggestive of chocolate. I experience this element on the exhalation. The aftertaste is more suggestive of the darker flavour of Autumnal berries, to me, than anything else.

Throat hit is negligible, but this is not unexpected for a liquid with a nicotine strength of 12mg. Vapour production however is profuse with dense, opaque clouds obscuring the screen in front me as I write. I'm finding I have to wait a second or two for it to clear before I can commence typing.

Admittedly, this juice, like the film after which it's named, is somewhat of an enigma. I suspect that this is just as Innevape would have it. While Innevape describe Se7en as a tropical vape, I personally experience it as a more temperate, autumnal melangé of flavour. I'm afraid readers, that you're on your own with Se7en. I think that each of us will experience this juice in a way particular to each of our unique sensibilities.