Tuesday 16 July 2013

Lotus by Vape Goddess

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review are quoted from my review of Vape Goddess's Ambrosia. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ambrosia-by-vape-goddess.html Quoted passages are in italics.

There's a lot that you do as a child that would appear forever lost to memory. For example, some time during my childhood, I squeezed the nectar from tiny honeysuckle flowers and licked it from my fingertips. I don't remember who I was with, where I was or anything else that might have been associated with this experience. All I remember is squeezing the flowers between my thumb and forefinger, licking the nectar and the taste of it. The catalyst for this memory is Vape Goddess's e-liquid, Lotus, which is honeysuckle and green tea flavoured. I've been vaping this liquid for several days and each inhalation of vapour draws me back to that simple, inconsequential, childhood pleasure, the memory of which had been buried and left for dead all these years. (The apprehension of aroma is closely tied to memory, http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/smell3.htm, and as we know (though perhaps you don't) the experience of flavour is to a large degree determined by odour molecules travelling to the olfactory neurons retronasally (through the mouth). Hence, a triad of association and relationship between memory and the apprehension of flavour and aroma.)

I personally find it extraordinary, that long lost memories can be brought to conscious awareness by the merest whiff of a passing aroma of some sort. Why is memory so intimately connected with our sense of smell? 

Maybe Vape Goddess knows...

Vape Goddess http://www.vapegoddess.net/ is a company of women, run by Meg Strouse (co-creator of Drake's Vapes with Kevin Drake), who make e-liquids specifically for the female market. Perceiving a gap in the e-liquid market, Meg with the support of her team launched a number of liquids, the likes of which you won't find anywhere else. Vape Goddess acknowledge that women who vape are more often than not, intelligent, creative and very accomplished, and have chosen to reflect these latter qualities in their branding, marketing and products.

Before we go any further, a note to my male readers. Yes, these are liquids pitched to a female market, but I sincerely hope that you're sufficiently comfortable with your sexuality that you would appreciate good e-liquids when you see/smell/vape them, without worrying about emasculation, even if they're not particularly aimed at you. Vaping these juices won't diminish your masculinity in any way, shape or form. These are very good liquids and provide a number of flavours that you simply won't find anywhere else. If, like me, you're a connoisseur of flavour, you probably wouldn't hesitate in buying these juices anyway.

Vape Goddess offer a range of six e-liquids which include FIERCE ("Tangerine Menthol") ($15.00), Guilty Pleasure ("Cookies and Milk") ($15.00), Kokomo ("Kiwi Melon") ($20.00), Lotus ("Honeysuckle Green Tea") ($15.00), Luna ("blueberries with a hint of smooth tobacco")  ($15.00) and Ambrosia ($15.00). Coming soon are Ginger Fetish, Mahalo ("Hibiscus Ginger Grapefruit"), Sol ("Sparkling Mango"), Spritz ("Cucumber Mint") and Tease ("Plum White Tea"). They also offer a sampler called Goddess Tasting Flight ($25.00) which consists of 10ml bottles of each of the following liquids: Ambrosia, FIERCE, Guilty Pleasure, Lotus and Luna.

Each e-liquid is available in a cylindrical glass bottle with a black, non-childproof screw-top cap. Here follows the obligatory plea for vapers with children and/or pets around, to store and use these liquids with especial care. The information on the bottle in front of me includes the following: the company/brand name, the name of the liquid, a brief description of the flavour, nicotine strength in ml, an ingredients list, and the warnings: "Keep away from children and pets" and "Not for sale to minors".

The colour of this liquid is a clear, slightly lighter, Burnt Orange http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_orange#Burnt_orange, though when the bottle is held up to a light, the liquid is closer to a School Bus Yellow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus_yellow Remarkably, the liquid smells more of banana, to me, than anything else. I assure you though, there's no trace of banana in the flavour of the vapour. The liquid is quite aqueous and only lightly lubricious. 

As I mentioned earlier, I've been vaping Lotus for a few days. I've been using it in the Killer, but for the sake of this review and in the interests of maintaining a level playing field, I'll be using the Igo-L on a mechanical mod, powered by an 18650 battery. I don't have the mod or equipment to measure the ohms of the coil, but I can tell you that there are five wraps of 0.2 (32 AWG) Kanthal wire around four strands of 2mm silica wick.

The coil is hot and as I inhale there's a warm flood of sweetness throughout my mouth. The flavour is broadly floral. Unfortunately, the term "floral" when used to describe vapour carries negative connotations. Let me assure you though, that in this case the floral quality is entirely agreeable. Honeysuckle could be classed as gustatorily satisfactory as rose water or elderflower cordial (or wine). When I finish inhaling vapour, I take a small amount of fresh air into my lungs, and as I do so the flavour of honeysuckle blossoms (pardon the pun). As I exhale, the honeysuckle flavour is amplified and I become aware of another flavour, a slightly earthier flavour which I assume to be green tea. (I don't recall ever drinking green tea, so I have to take Vape Goddess's word for it.) The aftertaste consists of the marriage of these two flavours, with the honeysuckle continuing to dominate until it all fades or I take another vape.

Lotus provides both a substantial throat hit (at 18mg) and a generous amount of vapour.

I abhor TXT speak, but I'll make an exception here, simply because I want to stress the point. OMG I <3 Lotus. My wife adores it too. This juice is so delicious, I'm almost lost for words. You owe it to yourself to try Lotus at least once in your life. It's sweet, it's summer, it's refreshing. It's like no other e-liquid out there. Go buy.