Thursday 18 July 2013

FIERCE by Vape Goddess

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review are quoted from my review of Vape Goddess's Ambrosia. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ambrosia-by-vape-goddess.html Quoted passages are in italics.

Vape Goddess http://www.vapegoddess.net/ have this to say about FIERCE, the subject of this review: "Oh girl, you ARE FIERCE and you should vape like it! Smooth and tangy tangerine paired with the bite of cool Menthol is a vape that's just as FIERCE as your new Jimmy Choos." http://www.vapegoddess.net/fierce/

All I know about Jimmy Choo, is that he's a "designer shoe" designer and as such, charges a mint (or the earth (whichever metaphor works best for you)) for a pair. I'll be back in a minute. I'm just going to go Google Jimmy Choo.

Oh, I see. It's not just shoes. It's handbags, sunglasses, wallets and men's fashion too. His most expensive boots are £1995.00 (US$3036 as of the date of the writing of this review) http://www.jimmychoo.com/pre-fall-12/gaige/invt/124gaigebmpy while his most inexpensive pumps are £250.00 (US$380 as of the date of the writing of this review) http://www.jimmychoo.com/walker/invt/113walkerbgfa

Wow, FIERCE indeed! Enough about shoes; let's talk about e-liquid.

Vape Goddess is a company of women, run by Meg Strouse (co-creator of Drake's Vapes with Kevin Drake), who make e-liquids specifically for the female market. Perceiving a gap in the e-liquid market, Meg with the support of her team launched a number of liquids, the likes of which you won't find anywhere else. Vape Goddess acknowledge that women who vape are more often than not, intelligent, creative and very accomplished, and have chosen to reflect these latter qualities in their branding, marketing and products.

Before we go any further, a note to my male readers. Yes, these are liquids pitched to a female market, but I sincerely hope that you're sufficiently comfortable with your sexuality that you would appreciate good e-liquids when you see/smell/vape them, without worrying about emasculation, even if they're not particularly aimed at you. Vaping these juices won't diminish your masculinity in any way, shape or form. These are very good liquids and provide a number of flavours that you simply won't find anywhere else. If, like me, you're a connoisseur of flavour, you probably wouldn't hesitate in buying these juices anyway.

Vape Goddess offer a range of six e-liquids which include FIERCE ("Tangerine Menthol") ($15.00), Guilty Pleasure ("Cookies and Milk") ($15.00), Kokomo ("Kiwi Melon") ($20.00), Lotus ("Honeysuckle Green Tea") ($15.00), Luna ("blueberries with a hint of smooth tobacco")  ($15.00) and Ambrosia ($15.00). Coming soon are Ginger Fetish, Mahalo ("Hibiscus Ginger Grapefruit"), Sol ("Sparkling Mango"), Spritz ("Cucumber Mint") and Tease ("Plum White Tea"). They also offer a sampler called Goddess Tasting Flight ($25.00) which consists of 10ml bottles of each of the following liquids: Ambrosia, FIERCE, Guilty Pleasure, Lotus and Luna.

Each e-liquid is available in a cylindrical glass bottle with a black, non-childproof screw-top cap. Here follows the obligatory plea for vapers with children and/or pets around, to store and use these liquids with especial care. The information on the bottle in front of me includes the following: the company/brand name, the name of the liquid, a brief description of the flavour, nicotine strength in ml, an ingredients list, and the warnings: "Keep away from children and pets" and "Not for sale to minors".

When I look at the liquid in the bottle I notice a torpid veil through the clear liquid, so I shake it and discover the liquid's proper state is opaque, rather than clear. The colour of FIERCE is a slightly lighter Goldenrod (Gold). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(color)#Goldenrod It has the consistency and lubricity of a light cooking oil and smells, unsurprisingly, of tangerine. 

I'm vaping FIERCE in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod running on a freshly charged 18650 battery. I don't have the mod or equipment necessary to measure the ohms of the coil on the Igo-L, but I can tell you that it has five wraps of 0.2 Kanthal (32 AWG) wire around four strands of 2mm Silica wick.

I fire the device and take a gentle, shallow inhalation of vapour. The first thing I notice is the chemesthetic effect of coolness along the forward, upper edge of my tongue. I also experience a gentle sensation of citrus flavour (no acidity) throughout my mouth. As the breath begins to turn, the flavour of tangerine reveals itself and continues alongside the exhaled coolness of menthol, through to, and for the duration of the aftertaste. Bear in mind this was a short, shallow inhalation. When I fire the device in preparation for a sustained inhalation, I again experience the cooling sensation of Menthol on my tongue, but as the inhalation continues, the sweetness of the tangerine builds alongside the broad flavour of citrus. This is quickly overtaken however, by a strong chemesthetic cold burn (this is characteristic of Menthol and entirely expected) at the back of the throat the longer I inhale. As I finish inhaling vapour and take in a shallow breath of fresh air, the tangerine reappears. The exhalation is a combination of the residual effect of the Menthol throughout my gustatory system and the amplified flavour of tangerine washing back out through my mouth and experienced partially retronasally, partially via my taste buds. The overall effect is a very refreshing, almost cleansing vape. I strongly suspect there's a third note buried very deeply within the overall mix, to lend support to the tangerine flavour, but I have no idea what it might be. Clove perhaps... The vapour is subtly sweet; certainly nowhere near enough to be cloying. In fact, to my taste, it provides just enough sweetness to lend authenticity to the tangerine note.

I don't experience any throat hit as such but the Menthol provides a substantial kick of its own to the back of the throat. Vapour production is excellent, with generous clouds of the stuff billowing from my mouth.

Although Vape Goddess's e-liquids are nowhere near as expensive as Jimmy Choo's shoes, they almost should be. It's been my great pleasure to sample four of the currently available six e-liquids in the Vape Goddess range, and they've each been of exceptional quality. There are some very accomplished minds at Vape Goddess and it shows in the level of detail lavished on every aspect of the product. The branding, the bottling, the labelling, the artwork, the graphic design and the liquids themselves are all exquisite. Ignore them and you do yourself a great disservice.

Citrus flavoured e-liquids have been known to etch and/or crack plastic tanks, so I'd advise only using FIERCE in a metal or borosilicate/pyrex device. Vape Goddess don't mention this on their website but I personally wouldn't want to risk it.