Thursday 11 July 2013

Andromeda by Space Jam Robo Fuel

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product.


Andromeda "is a spiral galaxy approximately 2.5 million light-years from Earth". It's believed that The Andromeda Galaxy is approaching the Milky Way at about 100 to 140 kilometres per second (62 to 87 mi/s) which is about 1.96 billion to 2.74 billion miles per year... The Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are thus expected to collide in about 4.5 billion years... The fate of the Earth and the Solar System in the event of a collision is currently unknown. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_Galaxy

I'm reminded of this scene from Woody Allen's Annie hall, in which his character Alvy Singer, as a child talks to his doctor. http://youtu.be/8aaddWJtRoQ

Listen folks, we're in REAL trouble and we don't seem to have much time left. On with the review.

There's a number of juice producers, seemingly clustered in California, who have established themselves as exemplars of the highest levels of quality in both the actual juices they offer and in branding. Space Jam Robo Fuel, the brainchild of Aaron Pederson and Michael Crawford, based in Orange County is one of them.

The Space Jam Robo Fuel Range is currently available from 41 brick and mortar stores throughout the US and online from the following vendors: Elevated Vaping http://elevated-vaping.myshopify.com/, EJuiceAvenue http://ejuiceavenue.com/, and Vapor Bank http://vaporbank.com/.

The Space Jam Robo Fuel range comprises Andromeda ("A creamy mix of pomegranate and blueberry..."), Astro ("Apples, Strawberries and juicy peaches...") and Starship 1 ("...a vanilla custard topped with fresh kiwi..."). They're also preparing to roll out a fourth liquid in mid July (2013) called Omega ("...juicy peach juice with hints of a sweet vanilla cream.") https://www.facebook.com/SpaceJamJuice.

Each of the liquids in the range are available in 30ml bottles ($22.00) (some vendors appear to carry cuboid bottles, while others carry cylindrical bottles) at nicotine strengths of 6, 12 and 18mg. I've been unable to find any reference to PG/VG ratios on the bottle or any websites carrying the Space Jam Robo Fuel range.

The bottle I have in front of me is cylindrical glass. This always wins brownie points with me.; glass is inert, durable and looks classy. The screw-top cap is a non-childproof, black plastic with an attached dropper. Please, if you have children around, store and use this liquid with extra care. The label includes the following information: the company name, the name of the liquid, nicotine strength in mg, liquid contents in ml, an ingredients list (PG, VG, natural and artificial colours and nicotine), a batch number, the date of manufacture, the location of manufacture, and the words "Sale to minors is PROHIBITED by intergalactic law".

The colour of the liquid is something between an Orange Peel orange http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_orange#Orange_peel and a Sunglow gold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(color)#Sunglow. It has the viscosity of a medium cooking oil and is very lubricious. The aroma is potent; I can smell it a good 30cm from my nose as I unscrew the cap. Absolutely blueberry.

I'm vaping Andromeda in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod running on a freshly charged 18650 battery. I don't have the mod or equipment necessary to measure the ohms of the coil on the Igo-L, but I can tell you that it has four wraps of 0.2 Kanthal wire around three strands of 2mm Silica wick.

The quality of this product, evinced by the glass bottle, the professional artwork and graphic design was immediately confirmed as I took my first inhalation of Andromeda. The vapour has a dense, velvety (creamy) mouthfeel and provokes only the mildest of chemesthetic reactions at the back of the throat; a mild sensation of mounting of pressure that never gets to the point of discomfort. As I drew the vapour slowly into my mouth, allowing my taste buds the maximum time possible to wash in the flavour, I experience a light sweetness throughout my mouth but mostly along the forward edge of my tongue (because this is the first part of my anatomy to encounter the vapour). There's a broad perception of berry flavour. As I finish inhaling, draw a partial breath of fresh air and hold it momentarily, the berry flavour is fully realised as blueberry. As I exhale, there's a slight sour note along the length of the roof of my mouth along with the suggestion of pomegranate. The aftertaste consists primarily of the blueberry, and while it's a mild sensation it's very much akin to fresh fruit rather than any sort of flavour associated with candy, syrup or other artificially flavoured foodstuffs. There's also a lightly acidic tang in the aftertaste which I experience around the edges of my tongue.

I don't get much throat hit from Andromeda, but there is a mounting sense of pressure at the back of the throat (I experience this with most sweet e-liquids, it seems). As I mentioned earlier, it never tends to get uncomfortable. Vapour production is very good. As I exhale, the vapour succumbs to the effects of gravity quickly which suggests that the VG content is substantial.

First the good news: I can't tell you what a pleasure Andromeda is to vape. Behind the Sci-Fi, cartoon branding lies a very seriously accomplished juice.

The bad news is that you don't have a lot of time left to order your Space Jam Robo Fuel E-liquids. The Andromeda Galaxy is going to be here in 4.5 billion years.