Thursday 18 July 2013

Guilty Pleasure by Vape Goddess

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review are quoted from my review of Vape Goddess's Ambrosia. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ambrosia-by-vape-goddess.html Quoted passages are in italics.

There's a particular American institution which has travelled throughout the western world, into the homes and lives of families and specifically, the lives of children. This institution is the tradition of sitting at the kitchen table, legs swinging with pleasure, chatting idly about the day's events and eating cookies and drinking a cold glass of milk. This institution almost has the old world charm and sacred inviolability of a Norman Rockwell painting. I believe that once upon a time this simple, childhood ritual was a common occurrence. Does it endure however, into this 21st century where the likes of potato crisps, chocolate bars and ice-cream are advertised on television every few minutes, between the hours of 3:00 and 5:00PM? Television advertising is known to have an ironclad, hypnotic influence on the minds of suggestible people. At this time of day, those people are, for the most part children.

Once upon a time, Sesame Street had some influence: http://youtu.be/fWVv0Ob_844 Perhaps it still does. I hope so.

Vape Goddess, in a generous nod to this time honoured tradition have created an e-liquid called Guilty Pleasure which offers the comforting taste sensation of cookies and milk, which is, because of its nicotine content, for the exclusive use of adults. Adults who were raised, perhaps, to enjoy cookies and milk at the kitchen table.

Vape Goddess http://www.vapegoddess.net/ is a company of women, run by Meg Strouse (co-creator of Drake's Vapes with Kevin Drake), who make e-liquids specifically for the female market. Perceiving a gap in the e-liquid market, Meg with the support of her team launched a number of liquids, the likes of which you won't find anywhere else. Vape Goddess acknowledge that women who vape are more often than not, intelligent, creative and very accomplished, and have chosen to reflect these latter qualities in their branding, marketing and products.

Before we go any further, a note to my male readers. Yes, these are liquids pitched to a female market, but I sincerely hope that you're sufficiently comfortable with your sexuality that you would appreciate good e-liquids when you see/smell/vape them, without worrying about emasculation, even if they're not particularly aimed at you. Vaping these juices won't diminish your masculinity in any way, shape or form. These are very good liquids and provide a number of flavours that you simply won't find anywhere else. If, like me, you're a connoisseur of flavour, you probably wouldn't hesitate in buying these juices anyway.

Vape Goddess offer a range of six e-liquids which include FIERCE ("Tangerine Menthol") ($15.00), Guilty Pleasure ("Cookies and Milk") ($15.00), Kokomo ("Kiwi Melon") ($20.00), Lotus ("Honeysuckle Green Tea") ($15.00), Luna ("blueberries with a hint of smooth tobacco")  ($15.00) and Ambrosia ($15.00). Coming soon are Ginger Fetish, Mahalo ("Hibiscus Ginger Grapefruit"), Sol ("Sparkling Mango"), Spritz ("Cucumber Mint") and Tease ("Plum White Tea"). They also offer a sampler called Goddess Tasting Flight ($25.00) which consists of 10ml bottles of each of the following liquids: Ambrosia, FIERCE, Guilty Pleasure, Lotus and Luna.

Each e-liquid is available in a cylindrical glass bottle with a black, non-childproof screw-top cap. Here follows the obligatory plea for vapers with children and/or pets around, to store and use these liquids with especial care. The information on the bottle in front of me includes the following: the company/brand name, the name of the liquid, a brief description of the flavour, nicotine strength in ml, an ingredients list, and the warnings: "Keep away from children and pets" and "Not for sale to minors".

The colour of this liquid appears to my eye, closest to a clear Rusty Red http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_red#Rusty_red The viscosity  is similar to a cordial syrup while the lubricity is quite substantial; somewhat akin to a light cooking oil. The aroma emerging from the bottle is that of baked, cream flavoured cookies.

I'm vaping Guilty Pleasure in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod running on a freshly charged 18650 battery. I don't have the mod or equipment necessary to measure the ohms of the coil on the Igo-L, but I can tell you that it has five wraps of 0.2 Kanthal (32 AWG) wire around three strands of 2mm Silica wick.

As I first inhale, my mouth fills with a potent sweetness and the broad flavour of something baked. If I draw the vapour into my mouth without inhaling, and then inhale the mouthful of vapour, I experience some discomfort at the back of my throat and retronasally. So, I've learned quickly to inhale the vapour from Guilty Pleasure directly into my lungs. The sweetness floods along the length of my tongue and there's a warmth about the vapour which is not to be confused with the temperature of it. The vapour itself is dense, velvety and somewhat creamy. When I stop inhaling the vapour and (as is my practice) take a small amount of fresh air into my lungs the flavour of cookie springs to life. It's a flavour that I've encountered in other e-liquids, though there's certainly a sweeter, creamier quality to this vapour than the others I've experienced. As I exhale, the cookie flavour continues without amplification and through to the aftertaste where it either fades gradually or is extended by the following vape. This liquid is free from the taint of the taste of artificiality. It tastes like baked cookies. There's a certain creaminess to the flavour and texture of the vapour which I would suggest accounts for the "milk" in the description of the liquid, but I don't personally taste milk. This is where I invoke the mantra, "taste is subjective". My inability to taste milk in this vapour may be a deficiency in my physiology or equipment.

The throat hit that Guilty Pleasure provides is significant. There was also a building of pressure at the back of my throat. Vapour production varied depending on how saturated the wick was with liquid. The less liquid there was on the wick, the more voluminous the vapour.

Although there are a number of e-liquids that have a passing similarity to Guilty Pleasure, I can't think of one that is the equal of this for the quality of indrawn vapour and flavour it provides.