Friday 30 August 2013

Maha Ras by Mad Murdock

Disclaimer: I purchased this E-liquid with my own money for the purpose of conducting a review. I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review have been quoted from my review of Mad Murdock's Radiator Pluid. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/radiator-pluid-by-mad-murdock.html Quoted passages are in italics.


Maha is a Sanskrit word meaning "great". "Maha Ras" is one of the many names by which the fabled Elixir of Life is, and has been known. Maha Ras means, literally, "Great Juice".

The concept of an elusive substance, which may or may not necessarily be a liquid, that, when ingested removes the curse of mortality has been discussed in hushed tones and written about in opaque language within obscure tomes since time immemorial, by great men and women alike. The ancient Egyptians were said to have availed themselves of, and ingested a substance called "What is it?" which they described as "white powder of gold" and was known as Manna by the ancient Israelites. In the Judeo Christian sacred texts, Manna was said to have fallen from Heaven. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elixir_of_life

The Arabic and later European Alchemists spoke of The Philosopher's Stone, which was said to not only confer immortality on the consumer, but also change lesser metals to gold or silver. Recent theorists have proposed that the apparent practice of changing lesser metals to gold or silver was actually referring to a process of spiritual enlightenment. A twentieth century occultist, Israel Regardie, who was Aleister Crowley's secretary for some time, held to this point of view until late in his life when he reputedly had a change of heart and was said to have set up a lab in his home in Sedona, Arizona in an effort to obtain that elusive substance for himself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Regardie

Even still, in this day and age, there are people the world over in increasing numbers seeking the Elixir of Life or "great juice". Google "Ormus".

I'll let you in on a little secret: If you want "great juice", Maha Ras, you need go no further than Mad Murdock. He makes and sells the stuff. It may not confer immortality upon you or change lead to gold, but it's possible you'll have an experience that's undeniably exotic.

Maha Ras is distributed by Liberty Flights UK http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/ in 10ml bottles which retail at £6.49 each. Maha Ras is available as a 9mg juice. 

The bottle is a clear, firm plastic that is easily squeezed and has an attached dropper insert. The white plastic, screw top cap is childproof. The label includes the following information: the name of the liquid, liquid contents in ml, nicotine content in mg and as a percentage, the name, address, website address, telephone and mobile numbers of the distributor, a batch number, Mad Murdock's Maha Ras graphic (1cm x 1cm), a toxicity graphic (skull and crossbones within an orange square), a textual toxicity warning,  storage instructions, first aid instructions, a tactile, triangle warning sticker (which complies with EU laws regarding the storage of toxic substances), a warning that the liquid may contain traces of nuts and the declaration, "Made in America".

If you would like to know what I think about the bottle and labels for the Mad Murdock range as distributed by Liberty Flights, see my review of Radiator Pluid. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/radiator-pluid-by-mad-murdock.html

The colour of the liquid is a limpid, vivid Pantone Orange http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_orange#Orange_.28Pantone.29 and it has a viscosity approximating that of a light olive oil. It's quite lubricious but a drop of the liquid rubbed between the tips of my thumb and forefinger is absorbed into my skin within a minute. The aroma is complex; it's base note is decidedly floral but there are hints of citrus, tangerine perhaps and something approaching apricot. On the whole it has the aromatic character of a sweet incense.

I'm vaping Maha Ras in an Igo-L on a Poldiac running on an 18650 battery. I don't have the means to check the ohms of the coil, but I can tell you that there's five wraps of 0.2mm (32 AWG) Kanthal wire around three strands of 2mm Silica wick. The wick is saturated with Maha Ras following two days of consecutive use.

As I draw the vapour into and through my mouth I experience a fine-grained prickling on the tip of my tongue. With sustained inhalation, the prickling sensation extends along the length of my tongue and resolves after a moment or two into a mild numbness. The flavour profile is unlike anything I've yet tasted in a vape. As I inhale, there's a mild, broadly floral quality to the flavour. Usually "floral" equates to "unappealing" when discussing flavour in an e-liquid, but in this case, it's patently intentional. (The name of the liquid combined with Mad Murdock's original artwork (Murdock himself in a meditative seated position, with Hindu god-like multiple limbs ) for this juice suggests an oriental theme.) Rapid successive draws on the device intensifies the flavour. When I finish inhaling vapour I follow through with a short breath of fresh air to chase the vapour into my lungs. At this point the flavour expands and the complexity of this juice becomes apparent. The vapour is spiced (not spicy) with what I imagine are fruity notes. There's something here that approaches the flavour of apricot and perhaps, pomegranate. At one point I imagine I'm tasting rose. There's also that elusive ingredient that causes the anaesthetic effect on my tongue. I want to suggest it's cinnamon but the flavour of this spice is distinctive and I'm not perceiving it here. What else causes numbing like this? Clove? As I exhale, the flavour softens slightly and then for the duration of the aftertaste I perceive what I think is pomegranate with a whisper of orange and what I'm reasonably sure now, is clove. There's also that oft-present metallic tang around my lower teeth and gums.

Throat hit is negligible, though I do experience that familiar mounting of pressure at the back of my throat, which appears to be an effect characteristic of sweetened juices. Vapour production is substantial, which, after a lengthy session with Maha Ras, leaves me feeling like I'm in a Hindu temple...

"hare kṛṣṇa hare kṛṣṇa
kṛṣṇa kṛṣṇa hare hare
hare rāma hare rāma
rāma rāma hare hare"


I read recently on ECF http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/410632-mad-murdocks-maha-ras-5.html that Maha Ras tastes like the aroma of Nag Champa incense. I'm not familiar with Nag Champa so I can neither confirm nor deny this, but it's a fair statement. The character of this e-liquid does approximate the aroma of some type of incense. Whether or not this sounds appealing to you depends on what you like to vape on a day to day basis and whether or not you have a sense of adventure and/or the will to experiment and experience the frontiers of sensation. Maha Ras is very unlike anything I've previously tasted, vape or otherwise and as such excites me on a sensory basis and at the level of my imagination. Perhaps this is what immortality tastes like...