Sunday 1 September 2013

Agent Orange by Mad Murdock

Disclaimer: I purchased this E-liquid with my own money for the purpose of conducting a review. I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review have been quoted from my review of Mad Murdock's Radiator Pluid. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/radiator-pluid-by-mad-murdock.html Quoted passages are in italics.


To those of you old enough to remember the Vietnam War (or, if you're Vietnamese, the American War) (November 1955 - April 1975), the name Agent Orange might very well strike a note of unease, if not outright horror in your inner being. My father was serving with the Australian Army in Vietnam when I was born and I didn't meet him until I was six months old, so this period of twentieth century history is somewhat close to home.

"Agent Orange is the combination of the code names for Herbicide Orange (HO) and Agent LNX, one of the herbicides and defoliants used by the U.S. military as part of its chemical warfare program, Operation Ranch Hand, during the Vietnam War... Vietnam estimates 400,000 people were killed or maimed, and 500,000 children born with birth defects as a result of its use. The Red Cross of Vietnam estimates that up to 1 million people are disabled or have health problems due to Agent Orange. The United States government has dismissed these figures as unreliable and unrealistically high." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

Now, having acknowledged the origin of the name Agent Orange, we can move on to establish the apparent fact that Agent Orange, the E-liquid was named after the band of the same name, rather than the toxic hybrid of chemicals. http://www.vapingwatch.com/mm-agent-orange.html

"Agent Orange is an American punk rock band formed in Orange County, California in 1979. The band is one of the first to mix punk rock with surf music. They first gained attention for their song "Bloodstains," released on their debut 7" EP in 1979." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange_(band)

Here's a video of the band in action, live at the Knitting Factory NY in 2009: http://youtu.be/G2qfbER5_zs

Agent Orange is distributed by Liberty Flights UK http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/ in 10ml bottles which retail at £6.49 each. Agent Orange is a 9mg juice.

The bottle is a clear, firm plastic that is easily squeezed and has an attached dropper insert. The white plastic, screw top cap is childproof. The label includes the following information: the name of the liquid, liquid contents in ml, nicotine content in mg and as a percentage, the name, address, website address, telephone and mobile numbers of the distributor, a batch number, Mad Murdock's Agent Orange graphic (1cm x 1cm), a toxicity graphic (skull and crossbones within an orange square), a textual toxicity warning,  storage instructions, first aid instructions, a tactile, triangle warning sticker (which complies with EU laws regarding the storage of toxic substances), a warning that the liquid may contain traces of nuts and the declaration, "Made in America".

For my thoughts on the bottle and labels for the Mad Murdock range as distributed by Liberty Flights, see my review of Radiator Pluid. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/radiator-pluid-by-mad-murdock.html

The colour of the liquid is a clear, Aureolin Yellow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aureolin Having given the bottle a short, vigorous shake, minuscule bubbles of air are suspended in the liquid which rise to the top at a snail's pace, suggesting a high level of viscosity; something akin to a light cooking oil. Rubbing a droplet of the liquid between the tips of my thumb and forefinger takes under forty seconds before it's absorbed into my skin, which indicates a mild lubricity. Opening the bottle below my nose releases an aroma that appears to be a blend of fruits from the Rutaceae family, that is, Oranges, Nectarines, Mandarins, Tangerines, Clementines and the Satsuma.  It's dark and sultry in character which suggests to me a darker variety of Orange than the commonly available fruit; Blood Orange perhaps. I believe I'm also sensing mandarin and perhaps, tangerine.

I've been vaping Agent Orange in both a GP Spheroid and an Igo-L on a Poldiac running on an 18650 battery. I'm using the Igo-L as I write this review. I don't have the means to check the ohms of the coil, but I can tell you that there's five wraps of 0.2mm (32 AWG) Kanthal wire around three strands of 2mm Silica wick.

As I fire the device and draw the vapour into my mouth, I begin to sense a velvety sweetness with a general citrus flavour. Sustained inhalation intensifies the flavour somewhat but at no point does the flavour turn sour, as I might have expected it to. At a certain point I stop inhaling vapour, as I usually do, and follow through with a measured inhalation of fresh air to chase the vapour into my lungs. I hold my breath for a moment or two and as I do so, the flavour crystallises and I'm aware of the top note of (what I think is) mandarin with a foundation note of orange. When the breath turns and I begin to exhale, the flavour of mandarin intensifies slightly and dominates through to the aftertaste. During this final phase of the cycle, the flavours of orange and mandarin continue with a slight metallic tang around my teeth and gums. I strongly suspect the presence of a third and possibly a fourth flavour sitting low in the mix, but these are so mild that they don't actually manifest as individually recognisable elements. I have a suspicion these flavours are mango and/or apricot. If anything they serve to bolster and add complexity to what otherwise might be an ordinary citrus flavoured vape. You could be forgiven for expecting there to be an acidic tang but this is entirely absent.

As a 9mg juice, throat hit is almost entirely negligible, but there is a mounting of pressure at the back of the throat during inhalation. As always, if ignored, this sensation builds to a certain amount of discomfort and the potential for a coughing spasm. Vapour production is very good with volumes pouring out into the room and weaving lazy veils around me.

Unlike Radiator Pluid and Maha Ras, I find Agent Orange to be reasonably mild, but it's by no means any less complex in it's depth and breadth of flavour. If you're looking for a summertime vape that's mild enough to be vaped all day, then Agent Orange might be worth some investigation.