Monday 12 August 2013

OOHRAH! by Indigo Vapor

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review have been quoted from my review of Indigo Vapor's Indigo RY. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/indigo-ry-by-indigo-vapor.html Quoted passages are in italics.

Although no one knows, apparently, where the word "OohRah" (Hooah, Hooyah) comes from, it's widely used by various divisions of the the US military. The meaning of the word also varies depending on the context in which it's used. It can mean "Sir, Yes Sir" but it can also mean "Sir, f#ck you Sir", which I imagine would be muttered under one's breath. It's also often bellowed by a group of soldiers, marines, etc., as a means of ratifying comradeship and generating courage in the face of imminent battle. According to Wikipedia it's also used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Russian Ground Forces, the Bulgarian military, and is the abbreviated name (Oorah Kiruv Rechokim) of an Orthodox Jewish organisation whose mission is to "reach out to Jewish families everywhere with life-enhancing learning opportunities, resources and programs..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oorah_(Marines)

Here's some "OohRah" by the Unites States Marine Corp: http://youtu.be/R-fXQNMV_Pg

I'm also reminded of Al Pacino's too frequent use of the syllables "Hooah" in Martin Brest's 1992 film, Scent of a Woman. http://youtu.be/iV4v-3i5pPU

OOHRAH! is also an e-liquid by Indigo Vapor http://www.indigovapor.com/ who have this to say about their tobacco e-liquid, "Our latest Tobacco vision. Created with two separate and distinct Tobacco blends. Melded together with Graham cracker and additional elements that yield a smooth and delicious result that will certainly answer your Tobacco needs."

Indigo Vapor is based in Mishawaka, Indiana in the United States and was begun by a gentleman called Tony, who, like most of us, turned to vaping to aid him in his effort to quit cigarettes. His experience with e-cigs was so successful that he formed Indigo Vapor to help others in their efforts to obtain a healthier alternative to smoking. Of course, in certain territories we're not allowed to claim that e-cigarettes are a cessation aid, so the Indigo Vapor website is careful to make the requisite disclaimers. http://www.indigovapor.com/aboutus.asp

Indigo Vapor offer a range of forty-nine liquids divided into the following categories: tobacco, fruit, ice, indulge and reserve. Each liquid is offered in bottle sizes of 15 ($9.49), 30 ($17.95), 60 ($32.95) and 120ml ($61.95) at nicotine strengths of 0, 6, 12, 18 and 24mg. Neither on the website nor on the bottles does the subject of PG/VG ratios ever get mentioned. For further information on their e-liquids, Indigo Vapor published this on their blog: http://indigovaporcraftingourejuice.blogspot.co.uk/

Each liquid is sold in a clear, cylindrical, glass bottle which, to date has always signified (to me) the presence of a quality liquid. I'm encouraged. The bottle has a black, plastic, screw-top cap with an Integrated dropper. On arrival, the cap was sealed in a tamper evident plastic film. There are two labels; one on the front and one on the back. The front label includes the following information: the brand/company name, the company's website address, the words "Handcrafted" and "American made" and the motto, "Experience the Indigo Difference". The rear label includes the following information: the name of the liquid, the date of manufacture (hand written) the liquid contents in ml, the nicotine strength in mg (hand written), the company's website address, warnings that "This product contains Nicotine" and "Keep out of the reach of pets and children" and an ingredients list (Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Nicotine and FEMA/GRAS approved flavorings).

The colour of the liquid is a clear, dark Copper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_(color).  The liquid has a viscosity akin to a light cooking oil or syrup and is only lightly lubricious. When rubbed between my thumb and forefinger, I find that the liquid is slightly sticky. The aroma of the liquid in the bottle is, to my nose, more reminiscent of cocoa than anything else. At a stretch, and with the application of my imagination I can smell baked cookie.

I'm vaping OOHRAH! in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod running on an 18650 battery. The coil has five wraps of 0.2 Kanthal wire (32 AWG) around three strands of 2mm Silica wick. I don't have a mod or any other type of equipment capable of checking the ohms.

As I begin to draw the vapour into my mouth there's a suggestion for the briefest moment of the savoury flavour of tobacco, before the broad sensation of sweetness registers in my conscious awareness. When I continue to fire the device and inhale the mouthful of vapour and more, the sweetness builds in intensity which follows through to that moment when I stop inhaling vapour and take a brief, shallow breath of air. At this point, and as I hold my breath momentarily, the flavour of Graham Crackers is experienced retronasally (aroma that enters the "internal nares" inside the mouth to interact with the olfactory bulb, rather than through the nose).  As I begin to slowly exhale, there seems to be a shift backwards and forwards between the umami flavour of tobacco and the sweeter, wheaten flavour of Graham Crackers. The aftertaste consists of a melding of these flavours; there's the sensation of having eaten crackers, with sweetness lingering on the insides of my cheeks and along the length of my tongue with an almost dry, roasted, savoury flavour at the back of my mouth and throat. From seemingly nowhere, I'm also tasting cream. There's also a slight metallic tang around my teeth and gums. I never quite know if this is a product of the vapour or it's an aberration particular to my personal physiology. Nevertheless, I find it quite agreeable and enjoy it as an element in the overall vaping experience.

I'd consider the throat hit of medium intensity; not as strong as Indigo Vapor's "The Duke" but certainly not as mild as Indigo RY. Vapour production is abundant with great volumes of condensed mist pouring into the room around me.

Why does anything with the flavour of Graham Crackers added to it taste so good? This is an exceptional juice that's simply and unequivocally delicious. That's all there is to be said, except perhaps, OOHRAH!