Wednesday 22 May 2013

Snickerdoodle Cookie by Parkes Vaping

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product.

Ssssnicker Dooodle. Sniiicka Doodle. SnickahDoo Dell. The word itself is fun. It's a linguistic toy!  According to Wikipedia, the word Snickerdoodle is a "corruption of the German word Schneckennudeln ("snail noodles"), (which is) a kind of pastry. It is also possible that the name is simply a nonsense word with no particular meaning, originating from a New England tradition of whimsical cookie names." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickerdoodle

Whatever the case, a Snickerdoodle is a type of cookie that's been rolled in cinnamon and sugar. I've never had the pleasure of eating a Snickerdoodle, but I've eaten plenty of donuts rolled in cinnamon sugar, so I suspect I have an inkling of what the cookie might taste like.

Snickerdoodle Cookie is also an E-liquid from Parkes Vaping http://www.parkesvaping.com/ who are based in Indiana, USA. Parkes Vaping offer an extraordinary number of options when  ordering their juices. Snickerdoodle is available in bottle sizes of 6 ($3.00), 10 ($5.00), 15 ($7.50), 30 ($15.00), 50 ($25.00), 60 ($30.00) and 120ml ($50.00) at nicotine strengths of 0, 6, 9, 12, 18, 21, 24, 30, and 36mg with PG/VG ratios of 100/0, 90/10, 80/20, 70/30, 60/40, 50/50, 40/60, 30/70, 20/80, 10/90 and 0/100. Further options include an extra shot of flavour (add $0.50), added sweetener, menthol and frost, which apparently imparts a coolness to the flavour and mouthfeel of the liquid, like menthol but without the taste of menthol.

The bottle is a clear, soft, pliable plastic with a screw top cap. The cap isn't childproof. The label features the Parkes Vaping logo and contains the following information: the name of the liquid, nicotine strength in mg, PG/VG ratio, the creation date, the Parkes Vaping website URL and advice to "keep out of reach of children". The liquid itself is a clear, Princeton Orange https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_orange#Princeton_orange and actually smells like a freshly baked cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar.

I'm vaping Snickerdoodle Cookie in an Igo-L on a mechanical mod with an 18650 battery. It's been a few hours since I took the battery off the charger, so the power output is right at the sweet spot providing a healthy charge to the atomiser without burning the juice. As I draw the vapour into my mouth there's the sensation of a slightly spicy sweetness along the front edge of my tongue. I can taste the cinnamon on the underside of my tongue if I hold the vapour in my mouth and swirl it around. The next sensation I become aware of is that mounting pressure at the back of my throat that I so often get with sweeter vapes. You learn quickly not to ignore this signal; otherwise you risk a coughing spasm. As I exhale, the flavours of cookie and sugar join the cinnamon. Oftentimes, a cake or cookie vapour tastes like dough, but Snickerdoodle Cookie tastes like baked cookie. Just like the real thing (cinnamon donuts, in my case) there is a slight residual "furriness" left in the mouth, which, combined with the aftertaste is very reminiscent of having eaten the genuine, baked article.

Throat hit is significant and vapour production is very good, though each of these will depend on your chosen nicotine strength and PG/VG ratio.

Snickerdoodle Cookie tastes like a home baked cookie and there's no hint of artificiality in the flavour at all. I thoroughly enjoyed vaping it as I wrote this review and would happily vape it again, but I would do so in moderation.

---

There are different types of cinnamon. For the most part, what we in the west refer to as cinnamon is actually Cassia. True Cinnamon comes from the Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (or Cinnamomum Verum) tree found in Sri Lanka, Seychelles and Madagascar while Cassia comes from a variety of related trees found in Vietnam, India, Indonesia and China. The flavour of cinnamon is due to an aromatic essential oil, Cinnamaldehyde, which makes up 0.5% to 1% of its composition. In its concentrated form, Cinnamaldehyde is very hot and can be the cause of serious health issues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon 

Fortunately, Snickerdoodle Cookie is a mild, sweet cinnamon flavour so vapers should be reasonably safe if it is vaped in moderation. Nevertheless, I feel it's my duty to advise that vapers vape e-liquids which contain cinnamon at their own risk. 

Cinnamon flavoured e-liquids have also been known to corrode plastic tanks. I'm using a stainless steel dripper, so I can't confirm or deny this.