Monday 11 March 2013

Welcome

Welcome to Vapour Taster. (Apologies to my stateside friends who spell it "Vapor".)

The purpose of this blog is simple: to taste and review e-liquids.

First, a little bit about me. Eight weeks and two days ago I quit smoking with the aid of e-cigarettes. I began smoking in my second year of Art School, 24 years ago. I think it was about 14 years ago that I decided I had had enough and attempted to quit. Cold turkey. Which of course didn't work. Since that time I have tried nicotine patches, nicotine gum and hypnosis. At various times my wife (let's call her V.) and I decided to only smoke outdoors or only smoke in one room to help us cut down with the intent of slowly weaning ourselves off the cigarettes altogether. We were always thinking of ways to make it difficult for ourselves to smoke. None of which worked.

Three months ago V. came home from having her hair done and told me that her hairdresser had managed to quit smoking with the aid of e-cigarettes. They've been around for a few years, but somehow I'd never heard of them. I don't watch much television and I don't listen to the radio or read newspapers, so I guess there's a lot going on in the world I don't know anything about. In any case, the idea that I could quit smoking with the aid of an electronic cigarette took hold of me.

A few weeks later both V. and I had e-cigarette starter kits. On Friday 11th January I began using my e-cig. For the next two or three days I had a regular cigarette after dinner, but my last after-dinner cigarette tasted dreadful and it made me feel ill.

In the time since I had that last cigarette, there have been quite a few moments when I really wanted or felt I needed a regular cigarette. (I've discovered people in the Vaping community call them "stinkies" or "analogs".) Each time this happened I reminded myself that cigarettes would probably be the cause of my death if I didn't stop and that my health would improve and I'd save a lot of money if I continued to abstain. With the aid of my e-cig I've found it much easier than I would have imagined.

My taste buds are reawakening. Everything is beginning to taste intense. I want to explore this and so I'm going to document my explorations in the world of e-liquids and the gentle art of vapour inhalation in the form of reviews. This will include e-liquids bought ready made from vendors as well as flavour concentrates that I'll use to mix my own e-liquids.

Again, welcome. I hope you enjoy this as much as I probably will.