Monday 2 December 2013

The Green Machine by Toasty Juice

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product. Pertinent portions of this review are quoted from my review of Toasty Juice's Sub-Zero. http://vapour-taster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/sub-zero-by-toasty-juice.html Quoted passages are in italics.

The Green Machine. I'm reminded of heavy factory machinery which is traditionally painted in a particular hue called "Safety Green" which protects the metal of the machinery from rust and because of its distinctive, vivid colour, workers know to be careful wherever they see the green (nice theory). I once read (forgive me, I don't have a reference or link) that this particular colour was also meant to keep workers calm and cheerful, which is probably a requisite if wages are less than fair and working conditions are less than safe.

The Green Machine is Toasty Juice's second offering in their Absinthe Triad. Interestingly, Absinthe was also known as "la fée verte" (the green fairy) so my imagination is sent into overdrive, playing with the associations and ideas that can be derived from the marriage of green fairies with green machines.

Toasty Juice is a fledgling operation, owned and operated by Assad Nasralla, based in New Jersey, USA which operates a Facebook page through which he can be contacted. Search for Toasty Juice or (be)friend and message Assad himself to order his liquids.

Toasty Juice offer a range of three distinct liquids; Sub-Zero ("Sweet minty Absinthe with... layers of flavor)", Green Machine ("A Kiwi/Peach Absinthe with citrus undertones") and Dragon Jazz ("A dragon fruit cocktail Absinthe with a Jazzy exhale"). Each liquid is available in a 30ml bottle (US$20.00) at nicotine strengths of 6, 12 and 18mg.

The bottle is a reasonably robust, clear glass with a black, plastic, screw top cap and an inbuilt eye dropper with a pointed tip for easy access to your preferred atomiser. The label features the charming hand-drawn artwork of Andrew Hsu (Andrew Hsulamander on Facebook) and includes the name of the liquid and nicotine strength as a percentage. In the case of the review sample, the nicotine strength is 1.2%, which might otherwise be listed as 12mg.

The colour of the liquid is a slightly opaque, darker antifreeze green. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Antifreeze_in_the_radiator.jpg A brief, vigorous shake of the bottle diffuses tiny bubbles of air throughout the liquid which rise to the top at a snail's pace, indicating a high Vegetable Glycerin content. As the Green Machine bottle (and it's stablemates, Sub-Zero and Dragon Jazz) has (have) been steeping, completely sealed (!), these last few weeks, the room has filled with the aroma of anise. Opening the bottle below my nose and taking shallow, sustained nasal inhalations, with the intent of analysing the fragrance of the liquid, I'm assaulted by the potency of the anise and I'm aware of a certain fruity undercurrent, though positively identifying these as either Kiwi Fruit or Peach would be an act of imagination, rather than perception.

I'm vaping The Green Machine in an Igo-L on a Poldiac running on a freshly charged 18650 battery. There's five wraps of 0.2 (32AWG) Kanthal wire around three strands of 2mm Silica wick and the atomiser is reading 2.3ohms on the Provari.

I fire the device and take a slow, deep inhalation of vapour. The first sensation I experience is a mild sweetness along the forward edge of my tongue, followed closely by that distinctive, earthy flavour and mild numbing quality of the anise. The flavour is broad until I take a breath of fresh air to chase the vapour into my lungs, at which point the anise is fully realised and is joined by the subtler fruit flavours. With each inhalation and exhalation the fruit seems to vary between the Kiwi Fruit and the peach. I never seem to be aware of both these flavours simultaneously. Towards the end of the exhalation and into the first moments of the aftertaste, I'm aware of a very mild, lemony influence, but I don't think I'd recognise it if I didn't know it was there. The aftertaste is dominated by the anise but there is a certain residual freshness about my mouth which is very appealing. There's also a metallic tang around my lower teeth and gums.

Throat hit is almost entirely absent which is to be expected from a 12mg juice. Vapour production is excellent with dense volumes of white vapour issuing into the room around me.

The Green Machine is an undeniably Absinthe flavoured liquid, but the addition of the various fruit accents tip the overall flavour into a somewhat refreshing, summery vape. Intriguing name, vivid green colour, full bodied flavour, anaesthesia, voluminous vapour... What's not to like?