Saturday 6 April 2013

Iron Brew by Waves of Vapour

Disclaimer: This E-liquid was provided to me free of charge for the purpose of conducting a review. This fact notwithstanding, I will, as best I'm able, provide an honest, accurate and unbiased assessment of this product.

Iron Brew by Waves of Vapour http://www.wavesofvapour.co.uk/ is a very thinly disguised vaporous adaptation of Scotland's most popular carbonated soft drink, Irn Bru. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru

The beverage, Irn bru was originally known as Iron Brew until 1946 when a change in Scottish laws dictated that it could not be labelled a brew if it had not, in fact, been brewed. The drink is known for its fluorescent rust colour which gave rise to a marketing campaign in the 1980's suggesting that it was made from girders.

This liquid is available in 10 (£5.00), 30 (£12.00), 50 (£18.00) or 100ml (£34.00) bottles and in nicotine strengths of 8, 12, 18, 24 or 36mg. It comes in 100% VG or VG/PG ratios of 50/50 or 70/30. The sample I'm reviewing is 12mg nicotine strength with a VG/PG ratio of 70/30. The bottle is clearly labeled with health and safety warnings including a tactile warning triangle which complies with EU law regarding labelling of toxic substances. The screw top cap is childproof.

The Waves of Vapour website describes Iron Brew as "a classic retro flavour from everyone's childhood now brought bang up to date in a vape". While Irn Bru, the drink is distinctly coloured, this e-liquid is clear and colourless. The aroma from the bottle is variously citrusy or something reminiscent of certain types of fruity bubblegum. I'm detecting slight floral notes as well.

Irn bru, the beverage, is a complex mouthful of sensation. There are, apparently, thirty two different flavours that contribute to the overall taste of the drink. As the flavour is so complex, it is therefore, somewhat elusive and no two people will necessarily agree on the taste. What does Iron Brew e-juice taste like? It tastes like Irn Bru. What does Irn Bru taste like? Irn Bru tastes like Irn Bru in the same way that Coca Cola tastes like Coca Cola.

That isn't very helpful is it? Try this: As I inhale I experience a warm sweetness across my tongue. If I pulse the e-cig to progressively heat the coil, the sweetness builds in intensity but never to the point where it's sickly sweet. As I draw the vapour mixed with fresh air down into my lungs I become aware of a restrained citrus element. A mild orange without the acidity that usually accompanies freshly squeezed orange juice. With the next inhalation, I'm tasting a medley of berries. The inhalation following that tastes of Lucozade. During both the inhalation and exhalation there's a subtle, fine-grained tang on the tip of my tongue. There's also a sensation that I might describe as an inclination towards fizziness at the back of my throat as I exhale. I've read that the inclusion of Vodka (used to thin out VG) in an e-liquid can impart a sensation of fizziness, so I wonder if Waves Of Vapour have used it in this juice.

The sample I'm vaping is 12mg nicotine strength with 70% VG so the throat hit is very mild. Vapour production is excellent; several inhalations, back to back produce satisfyingly voluminous and opaque clouds of vapour.

I think this liquid has potential to be an all day vape if you enjoy fruit flavoured e-juices. It's mild, it's well behaved and it's certainly not your traditional fruit flavour but it does have dimension and character.

I'd be interested to hear how others get on with Iron Brew. Feel free to leave a comment.